MyDomain is a full-featured hosting and domain name provider. But besides that, it also offers e-commerce, web design, and security solutions.
As for hosting with MyDomain, you will find both Linux and Windows virtual hosting, VPS hosting, and WordPress blog hosting. It claims to provide convenient and, at the same time, robust hosting solutions, suitable even for beginners. For this purpose, MyDomain has developed a hosting infrastructure that, according to the provider, exceeds all industry standards.
In this review of MyDomain, we will check if a provider is what it claims to be.
Let’s find out what it is!
MyDomain has three shared hosting plans for Linux, the price of which starts at $3.75 per month for the basic plan. The Delux 2-tier plan will cost $6.95 per month, and you can upgrade to an Ultra plan for $13.75 per month.
With each plan, you get a free domain, unlimited storage space, scalable bandwidth, and drag and drop site builder. However, other features are different:
- With the Basic plan for $3.75/mo, you can host one site, log in to 5 FTP accounts, and create 10 MySQL databases. You will also get 100 email accounts.
- With the Deluxe plan for $6.75/mo, you will get an unlimited number of websites, 25 FTP accounts, and MySQL databases as well as 250 email accounts.
- With an Ultra plan for $13.75/mo, you get an unlimited number of websites, email, FTP accounts, and MySQL databases.
However, you can only get advertised prices for the most popular Deluxe plan for the first 1-, 2-, or 3-year term. After that, the hosting plan renews at its regular rate. In the table, you can check what the actual MyDomain pricing for its Linux shared hosting Deluxe is:
|First-term pricing (12, 24, or 36 months)||$6.75/mo|
|Renewal for 1 year||$12.95/mo|
|Renewal for 2 years||$11.95/mo|
|Renewal for 3 years||$10.95/mo|
Keep in mind that you’ll have to pay the total price in advance for all of the plans.
So, what’s included in the plans? In the table below – compare the features and see which one is right for you:
|Customer Support||24/7 live chat, email, phone||24/7 live chat, email, phone||24/7 live chat, email, phone|
|Free Automated Backups||Paid||Paid||Paid|
Once in the shopping basket, check everything carefully. MyDomain preliminarily selects a few expensive extras.
Domain privacy protection will cost $8.99 per month. Site security for $1.66 per month is also pre-selected. And you will need to decide if you need an automatic backup for $1.25 per month.
In general, all plans offer good value for money. You need to be careful with pricing the Deluxe plan and avoid add-ons that you don’t need.
MyDomain offers some great features. These include affordable prices, decent performance, and eco-friendly servers powered by an energy source.
Let’s look at the details.
Available plan Basic
One of the best things MyDomain has to offer is its Basic Plan. For $3.75 a month, you get quite a lot – a free domain, unlimited storage, and no bandwidth limit (at least until you reach the server capabilities).
But there is something even better in the Basic Plan.
After the upgrade, affordable prices remain available – you will pay the same as in advertising. And that’s a rarity in the hosting industry.
So if you do not need to place a bunch of sites, the Basic Plan – it’s a great option for a personal blog, portfolio, or even a website for small businesses.
Decent response time
MyDomain’s response time is evaluated as B+, which is above average. And it does have an excellent response time in the US, Europe, and South America. Asia and Australia are a little behind, except Japan, which scored not very impressive 618 ms.
In general, if your audience is not based in Japan, you should not feel any delay in the download time.
MyDomain buys renewable energy credits to cover 150% of its server power consumption.
That makes MyDomain one of the few hosting providers who use energy from renewable sources to cover the damage they cause. You will also be issued Wind-Powered hosting badges so that others know that you are also contributing to sustainable development.
MyDomain has some great features, but it doesn’t avoid hitches. In this part of MyDomain’s review, we’ll look at what the host lacks – a guaranteed uptime, better customer support, and a more transparent pricing structure.
There’s no guarantee of trouble-free operation
MyDomain has no guarantee of uptime, which means you can’t predict how long your site will be idle. Other hosting providers offer 99.9% uptime in their SLA, which means that they will not fall more than a minute a day. That leaves enough time for server updates.
Unfortunately, you will not find out from MyDomain.
However, during our testing, MyDomain managed to get an average of 99.92% – that’s great. But still – we need a guarantee.
Slow customer service
We checked MyDomain customer service to better judge its support quality. It offers email, phone, and even live chat 24/7. So we tried to access the chat and check the speed and quality of service.
It wasn’t delightful.
We received an automatic message as soon as the chat window opened. And no one answered.
After waiting almost an hour, the support agent looked very annoyed. Besides, he didn’t have enough knowledge to help us – all we asked for, he needed his manager to clear up.
So we are not sure that you can get enough help in case you are in big trouble. Well, at least the knowledge base is decent.
There are too many paid extras
Most basic features with MyDomain are included. However, if you want to secure your site – it comes at a price.
And some of the features are even pre-selected, so you can end up paying for something you don’t need. That includes domain privacy, backups, and website security add-ons.
Besides, you can buy WordPress optimization (many hosts do this for free), expensive website builder ($10.99/mo), and G Suite for $6.00/mo.
So, when you look at the final price, you may be surprised. Available hosting is not affordable, after all.
MyDomain Review Summary
MyDomain is a standard host if you are looking for a seamless way to post your blog. However, if you need more functionality and flexibility, add-ons will make the cost take off.
So, we can conclude this MyDomain overview that the host is average.
That is enough for free bloggers, but professionals can remain disappointed.
Think about choosing green energy to power your servers, but beware of price tricks!
- Decent response time
- Renewable energy loans
- Live Chat option
- Lousy client support
- Without cPanel
- Upselling attempts
- Directnic Editorial Review
- Cloudways Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Globat Editorial Review
- GearHost Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Webair Editorial Review
- Hawk Host Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- JaguarPC Editorial Review
- ZAP-Hosting Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Dot5Hosting Editorial Review
- Leaseweb Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Freehostia Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Hivelocity Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Scaleway Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- NTC Hosting Editorial Review
- X10Hosting Editorial Review
- GoogieHost Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Vultr Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Hosting24 Editorial Review
- GoDaddy Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- TMDHosting Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- iWeb Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- EasyCGI Editorial Review
- WebHostingPad Editorial Review
- Linode Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Hostwinds Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- Site5 Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- SmarterASP.NET Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- WPX Hosting Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
- DiscountASP Editorial Review
- Just Host Editorial Review & Aggregated Reddit Reviews
Like what you see?
GRIN tech is available for work.Hire Us